ASHLAND, Va. --- Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) led all players with 21 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team outscored York (Pa.) 78-60 on Saturday evening in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 78, York (Pa.) 60
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Record: R-MC 27-3; YCP 22-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the Spartans had the first bucket of the game, Anthony hit a pair of free throws and senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) hit one foul shot to put the Yellow Jackets on top 3-2. A three-pointer by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) gave R-MC a 10-7 lead with 16:25 left in the first period. The Yellow Jackets had a slim 14-13 edge before Anthony had five points in an 8-2 spurt as the home team took a 22-15 advantage with 10:30 remaining. R-MC had a 26-20 lead before York hit four straight layups to take a 28-26 advantage with 6:15 left. A trey by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) and a layup by Anthony put the Yellow Jackets up 31-28 with 4:10 remaining. After the Spartans tied it, Anthony hit a 15-foot jumper as R-MC reclaimed the lead at 33-31 with 1:15 left. Anthony hit a floater in the lane that was ruled to have come after the halftime buzzer, as the Yellow Jackets took a two-point advantage at intermission. Anthony led R-MC with 13 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Neeley hit a three-pointer and assisted on a layup by Williams as the Yellow Jackets matched their largest lead at 38-31 less than one minute into the second half. A Bays trey gave R-MC a 45-35 advantage with 17:15 remaining. York used a 14-2 spurt to go ahead 49-47 before a layup and a trey by Bays capped a 16-0 run as the Yellow Jackets grabbed a 63-49 lead with 4:50 left. The R-MC defense held York scoreless for more than six minutes. A layup by Anthony stretched the lead to 16 at 68-52 with 3:20 left. The Yellow Jackets scored their next eight points from the free throw line before a layup by freshman Daquan Morris(Philadelphia, Pa./Hill School) gave the home team a 20-point lead at 78-58 with 11 seconds left. The Spartans had the game's last bucket to make the final 78-60.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Anthony went 8 for 10 from the floor, 2 for 3 on treys and made 3 free throws.
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) had a career-high 13 points, going 4 for 8 from the floor and 5 for 6 from the free throw line. Williams put up 12 points and Bays added 11.
- The Yellow Jackets won the battle of the boards 33-27. R-MC held York to six offensive rebounds.
- R-MC forced 15 turnovers. The Yellow Jackets are among the nation's leaders in fewest turnovers per contest. R-MC had just nine turnovers.
- York shot 54% from the floor in the first half (13-24), but just 39% in the second stanza (12-31).
- York went 14 for 27 (51.9%) on three-pointers in its first round NCAA Tournament game vs. DeSales on Friday. The Spartans hit just 5 of 22 (22.7%) from beyond the arc vs. R-MC.
- R-MC has reached the Round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament for the eighth time in program history and the fourth time in the past 10 years.
- The Yellow Jackets improved to 12-0 at home in Crenshaw Gym this season and are now 8-4 all-time in home NCAA Tournament contests.
- R-MC is one win away from the program record of 28 victories in a season, set during the 2002-03 season and matched in 2014-15.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Amherst College next weekend for sectional play in the round of 16. The Yellow Jackets will square off with Swarthmore College, while the host Mammoths take on Nichols College. Sectional play opens on Friday, March 8.