APPLETON, Wis. --- Eighth-seeded Roanoke fell 11-1 to fifth-seeded Washington & Jefferson in day two of the Division lll Championships in Appleton, Wisconsin. Roanoke faces No. 4 Concordia University Chicago in an elimination game at 11:00 a.m. EST on Sunday.
Score: No. 5 Washington & Jefferson 11 | No. 8 Roanoke 1
Records: Roanoke 34-18 | Washington & Jefferson 40-11
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin | College World Series
How It Happened
- Drew Mikula gave Roanoke a 1-0 lead in the second inning with a sacrifice fly to left field scoring Sam Watson from third.
- After three scoreless innings, the Presidents scored three in the fourth inning off a pair of home runs to make it a 3-1 game.
- Washington & Jefferson maintained the lead for the remainder of the game scoring two runs in the fifth and sixth, before tacking on four runs in the final two innings.
- Starter Steven Loney (4-2) was tabbed with the loss, giving up five runs off five hits in 4.2 innings of work. Riley Groves (11-2) held the Maroons to only two hits and one run in 7.2 innings to earn the win.
- Watson and Scott Ellis both went 1-for-2 for the Maroons, while Mikula drove in the only run. Derek Helbing led the Presidents going 3-for-3, while Jake Gordon, Kevin Begley and Dante Dalesandro tallied two hits each.
Up Next Week
No. 8 Roanoke faces No. 4 Concordia University Chicago in an elimination game at 11 a.m. EST on Sunday. Concordia defeated No. 1 Oswego 9-4 Saturday morning in the game five of the championship.