SEWANEE, Tenn. --- The 13th-ranked Washington and Lee women's tennis team defeated 17th-ranked Sewanee, 5-3, on Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Burton-Guerry Tennis Center.
W&L posted victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to take a 2-1 lead into singles action.
Senior Brooke Donnelly (Kennesaw, Ga. / Marietta) defeated Clementina Davila, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and sophomore Tessa Hill (Canton, Ohio / Jackson) topped Ellie Czura, 6-4, 5-7, 7-5 at No. 2 singles. At No. 3 singles junior Michelle Fleenor (Chattanooga, Tenn. / Girls Preparatory School) claimed a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Christina Merchant.
The Tigers claimed wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles. Sewanee finishes its season 19-6, while W&L improves to 21-5 overall.
The Generals return to action at Sewanee on Sunday for the third round of the NCAA Tournament at 11:00 am. W&L will face the winner of a second-round match between top-ranked Emory and Methodist.
Washington and Lee 5, Sewanee 3
May 13, 2017 at Sewanee, Tenn. (Bruton-Guerry Tennis Center)
1. #8 Brooke Donnelly (WLU) def. Clementina Davila (SEW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Tessa Hill (WLU) def. Ellie Czura (SEW) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
3. Michelle Fleenor (WLU) def. Christina Merchant (SEW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Maggie Crumbliss (SEW) def. Mary Hampton McNeal (WLU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
5. Haley Tucker (SEW) def. Lauren Hassell (WLU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Darby Duval (SEW) vs. Emily Kochard (WLU) 4-6, 6-4, 2-3 unfinished
1. Brooke Donnelly/Tessa Hill (WLU) def. Clementina Davila/Darby Duval (SEW) 8-6
2. Michelle Fleenor/Lauren Hassell (WLU) def. Christina Merchant/Ellie Czura (SEW) 8-6
3. Sara Thompson/Bea Benavides (SEW) def. Mary Hampton McNeal/Anna Kreynin (WLU) 8-6
Washington and Lee 21-5; National Ranking #13
Sewanee 19-6; National Ranking #17
Order of Finish: Doubles (1-2-3); Singles (3-1-5-4-2)